Friday, April 8, 2011

Planning for Live Rock in my 65 gallon Reef

So we all know the key to good biological filtration is live rock.  What really sucks is that you have spent all of this money on a tank along with the accessories and have not yet even filled it with water, let alone added anything living to it.  Now the pet store wants to charge you $5.99 a pound for live rock? And, you're supposed to have 1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon?  For my 65 gallon tank that meant I would have
at least close to $400 in rock.  At this point in my aquarium set up I was not willing to invest that kind of money when I was really not sure what kind of hitch hikers I might get.  I decided that I would get 50 lbs of key largo dry rock from marcorocks.com  They do a very good job selecting rock for your tank based up your description of how you would like to set it up.  It comes pre-cured and I had very good luck with it.  After adding this, I went to my local reef store and bought 14 lbs of live rock for $5.99 a lb to seed the dry rock that I had $192 in rock instead of $400.  Over time it will all wind up looking the same anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment