Monday, April 4, 2011

20 gallon sump design

Now that I had a 20 gallon tank, I was ready to begin the design of my 20 gallon sump for the reef tank.  There are a number of different design options, and many schools of thought regarding correct filtration. 
Here is a link to a site with a lot of useful inforation about sump design.  This guy will even build a custom sump for you (for a price). 
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

I prefer the age old acronym K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) therefore I chose a simple 2 compartment design that would allow for a filter sock, skimmer, a bubble trap, and a return pump.  Please see the diagram below.  A bubble trap is simply an area where the water can settle after being mixed with the air in the protein skimmer.  This is achieved by forcing the water over one baffle, under another and over a third before entering the return section.

No comments:

Post a Comment