Monday, April 4, 2011

Equipment Selection :: Overflow Box

The ideal display tank for a Reef tank is to have a pre-drilled tank that incorporates the overflow right into the tank through bulkheads drilled into the base of the tank. This is the best way to prevent accidental overflow. Of course this comes at a price. These tanks are more expensive to purchase and will have plastic baffles running down the back of the tank. Typically you can hide these pretty well with rock work. Some people choose to modify an existing tank and drill it themselves or pay a glass shop to drill it for them. I find that this runs the risk of shattering your tank. It is especially important to remember YOU CAN NOT DRILL A TANK MADE WITH TEMPERED GLASS!! That is why I chose to go with a hang on the back overflow box. I wanted one that was large enough to accommodate my return pump and keep a good bit of water moving through the system. I also wanted one that would maintain suction in the event of a power outage. I chose the Eshopps PF-300 HOB overflow. It has been working well for me and has never lost suction in the 6 months that I have had it running.

No comments:

Post a Comment