Monday, July 25, 2011

Reef Tank controller :: Neptune Apex Lite

I have to admit, this is one place where my tank budget very quickly got away from me. But, logic got the best of me and I decided that it was just a good idea to have a way to control several perameters in the tank. Simple lighting timers are no longer the way to go in this technology enabled world we live in.  There were several scenarios that played out in my head that drove me to select one of these devices.

1) a way to protect the tank from a heater thermostat that fails and cooks the tank.
2) Lighting control of multiple devices from a single point
3) wave maker capability of powerheads
4) ability to monitor temperature/PH of the tank remotely
5) ability to monitor inputs and pumps to set up an automatic top off system.
6) ability to change pump cycles for feeding

I compared the Neptune Apex and the Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Elite. I compared features, functionality, reviews and support.  After much deliberation I selected the Neptune Apex Lite.  This has been a great system that has proved to be easy to use and a very valuable asset to the tank.  I now graph PH, and temperature.  I can compare cycles on the heater with light cycles and verify that everything stays within a strict window of compliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment