Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lighting requirements for 65 gallon reef with SPS, LPS and soft Coral



Now that I had some livestock in the tank, I wanted to add some coral to my "65 gallon reef tank".  In order to do this I needed to upgrade my lighting.  The 2 T5 HO fixture that the local fish store sold me was not going to cut it.  Due to the high cost of lighting I went to ebay to find a fixture.
I found one that had 2 250 watt MH bulbs with remote ballasts along with 4 T5HO bulbs and 18 LED Moon lighting for around $300.  Originally this fixture listed for around $950.  Everything arrived in good condition and shortly after, I had it hooked up and running. 

When selecting lighting it is important to consider what types of coral you will be keeping and what their specific lighting requirements are.  As a rule SPS require more light than soft coral.  So if you wanted to keep both, you would plan for the lighting needs of the SPS coral and keep the soft coral closer to the bottom of the tank, further from the light source.

No comments:

Post a Comment